This blog is a true representation of UK Hiphop!! CLICK ON THE VIDEO LINK TO MAKE UM FULL SCREEN

Sunday 17 January 2010

JAM BAXTER (CONTACT PLAY) EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW!!!!!!



MY MAN BAXTER GIVE US A LITTLE INSITE TO HIS CRAZY MIND!

Q1. why is your crew called contact play?and why are you called jambaxter??

Contact play is a mode on micro machines on the NES where if you're playing eight player and four mans flop it it goes into contact play mode where you can knock each other off the track. The name was about long before i joined the crew and none of the original members who founded it are in it today! As for Jam Baxter its just something that kept coming out of my mouth when i as cyphering with mr.key and then i put it in a verse and gradually it became my name. I dont rate MCs who just call themselves a dumb adjective I reckon its all about coming up with a jokes name you wish your parents had called you when you were born.

Q2. do you think complicated rhyme patterns are better than simple flow's?

I dont think one's better than the other, its all about the content and the flow, i rate MCs that i relate to and rate MCs that sound like they believe in what theyre saying. I never force a multi syllable rhyme pattern just cos it fits and it'll sound deep over a beat cos then you just end up losing the point you were actually trying to make just to make the rhymes fit. If I hear a verse that sounds like its coming straight from the heart and and I connect wth it it doesnt matter whether theyve strung a twenty syllable rhyme together to get it across or whether its just one syllable at the end of the bar. If it sounds sick it sounds sick.

Q3. where do you think hip-hop is going?

Everywhere! People that say hip hop is a dying genre are missing the point. Its a format for self expression and people are always gonna have shit they wanna get off their chest cos the world is a fucked up place. There are so many different styles of hip hop developing and spiralling off in next directions and I dont think it'll ever die as an artform

Q4. contact play are notoriously known for getting mash up? is there any advice you would give to waste-men around the country?

I wont lie, we do like to go on the odd quackhandle, a couple of years ago I was an absolute wrongun. Fuck that, a couple of months ago I was an absolute wrongun, I'd get mashup for no reason cos a lot of shit was going on around me that I felt I couldnt handle unless I was smooshed off my face, but I've had a few epiphanies lately, and i'm cleaning myself up, you'll be hearing alot about that on my forthcoming solo project. My advice to wastemen accross the globe is listen to 'moderation' by the 3 amigos!!!!!

Q5. what's in store for contact play?

All of the five of us are working on solo projects, my album is nearing completion, Dikes second album is pretty much done and its SICK, Scissortongue has all his shit written he just needs a few days in a booth, and Key has just started his album. We're gonna do an SMB mixtape in the meantime and then once all our solo shit's dropped we'll all come together for the second CP album. We're also buying a van with the proceeds from our album and we're looking to drive round europe busking and playing shows all summer, I heard you're looking to come meet us out there leaf! So yeah, we got a lot of stuff in the pipeline, looking to keep the work rate high

Q6. finaly wats your adivce to up and coming mc's!

Dont try and emulate anyone else. Do you, dont lie in your bars, unless of course its one of those verses about ripping planets to pieces with your bare hands and floating on a giant iron turtle in outerspace. But dont pretend to be something you arent.

Biggup Leafdog, we need to finish this RLD album son!


GO AND BUY HIS ALBUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CONTACT PLAY - CHAMPION FRAFF LP

Click on The link to Buy

http://www.wordplaymagazine.com/cp.html

THE LINK TO HIS MYSPACE IS ON THE RIGHT! RLD WE COMING!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment